In line with Somali Bureau of Standard (SOBS)’s goal of enhancing efficiency and effectiveness of National Quality (NQ);The establishment of National Quality Institute (NQI) under SOBS will serve as a platform for enhancing Somalia’s quality infrastructure and fostering a culture of quality across the country and implementation of quality management systems. In order to have unhinderedaccess to foreign markets, Somali’s industrial sector needs to have an internationally recognized and supportive National Quality Institute that can provide the required independent and reliable evidence of product and service compliance. The NQI shall develop the technical and cultural environment for the application of quality management systems in public and private service providers and manufacturing enterprises, and the development of infrastructure that would help sustain the quality focus. NQI shall cater for technological and quality needs, minimize environmental, health and safety risks while avoiding inefficiency, conflict of interest, unnecessary and costly barriers to trade through development of a sound Quality Policy.
National Quality Institute aims at addressing the following constraints and issues:
- Conflicting or inexistence of legislations creates overlaps across Agencies and Ministries which leads to lengthy and costly transaction times, role conflict, inefficiency and waste of resources; 5 Lack of coordination and synergies between NQI institutions;
- Lack of respect of procedures for developing national standards at the expense NQI’s International credibility;
- Low capacity and under skilled human and material resources in public and private institutions;
- Lack of and/or lag in timely sharing of technical information, with respect to technical regulations and standards, among institutions involved in NQI implementation;
- Non-alignment of some of the NQ and Technical Regulation administration and enforcement procedures with international best practices;
- Lack of enforcement harmonization of quality control mechanisms within the region;
- Lack of strong consumer associations to influence the quality of Somalia products and services;
- Lack of quality management systems in public and private institutions;
- Lack of a quality culture within the Somalia Private Sector which tends to focus on quantity rather than quality;
- Lack of concerted institutional framework for funds mobilization aiming at strengthening NQI.
Have an operational, internationally recognized National Quality Institute that will guarantee efficiency and effectiveness in the goods and services delivery, better public health, safety, environmental and consumer protection that will lead to sustainable economic growth as result of well-coordinated government and private institutions.
The primary objective of National Quality Institute is to ensure that goods and services emanating from or traded in Somalia are designed, manufactured and supplied in a manner that matches the needs the entire Society, expectations and requirements of the purchasers and consumers, as well as those of the regulatory authorities in the local, regional and international markets.
The NQI will undertake the following activities to achieve its objectives:
NQI shall develop and implement training and capacity building programs for professionals, regulators, and stakeholders in the area of quality management systems.
The goal of the NQI Membership registration scheme is to identify and nurture people who are advancing their understanding and use of management system standards.
Conduct research and development activities to identify and promote the adoption of international quality standards 7
The National Quality Institute (NQI) awards and recognizes excellence-driven medium-sized, small-business, and micro enterprises.
5. Technical Assistance
NQI shall provide technical assistance and support to government agencies, industry, and other stakeholders in the development and implementation of quality management systems.
6. Consultancy Services
To encourage the use of standards in practice, NQI works with industry and sector-specific regulators.
7. Public Awareness
NQI shall conduct public awareness campaigns and outreach activities to promote understanding and awareness of quality issues among consumers, businesses, and the public at large.